People’s Law School Meeting Rooms
The meeting rooms of The People’s Law School (PLS) are made available to individuals and groups whose primary purpose is the provision of public legal education and legal information. Community use will be permitted when the facilities are not required for the programs and meetings of PLS. The meeting rooms are available only to such individuals, groups and organizations whose programs are consistent with the intent of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the BC Human Rights Code.
2. Priority of Use
To achieve the most effective use of rooms and to ensure that the interests of the community are properly served, the following priorities of use have been established:
Priority for use of the classroom and of the boardroom shall be given to programs and meetings of The People’s Law School. After that, the order of priority shall be (in descending order of priority):
- Programs and meetings of the British Columbia Centre for Elder Advocacy and Abuse and The British Columbia Library Association. As between these organizations, priority shall be given on a first come-first served basis.
- Programs and meetings of not-for-profit public legal education and information organizations and groups. As among these organizations, priority shall be given on a first come-first served basis.
- Programs and meetings of not-for-profit community organizations. As among these organizations, priority shall be given on a first come-first served basis.
- Others e.g. commercial groups
3. Hours of Use
Our meeting rooms are available only during the hours of 9:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday, statutory holidays excepted. In special circumstances, groups may rent outside these hours of operation. Please contact PLS for additional information.
There two categories of fees:
- Not-for-profit groups
The fee structure is as set out in the following table:
|Type of Facility||Charge for Not-for-Profit||Charge for Commercial|
*Rates quoted are for the open hours of The People’s Law School premises, 9am-4:30pm, Monday to Friday, statutory holidays excepted. Staff costs and other cost recovery charges will apply for all groups renting space outside the hours of operation of the People’s Law School.
For Commercial users: PLS requires full payment in advance of use of room. Payment by cheque or cash (in person) only. PLS will issue a receipt for payment.
Rates do not include GST.
5. Conditions of Use
Permission to use these facilities does not imply any endorsement of the aims, policies or activities of any group or individual.
No games of chance, including bingo and lotteries, are permitted.
Charitable fundraising is not permitted on PLS property unless authorized by the Board of PLS.
Due to limitations of space and adequate facilities, birthday parties, receptions, weddings and similar social events cannot be accommodated.
Sales of goods are not permitted on the premises.
Individuals or groups renting PLS meeting rooms agree to comply with the liquor licensing laws of the Province of British Columbia, as applicable.
6. Denial of Use
PLS reserves the right to deny or cancel a booking as may be determined by the following statements:
- use will be denied for a purpose or action that is contrary to the law
- use will be denied when there is deemed to be a misrepresentation by the individual or group renting the meeting room(s), a likelihood of physical hazard to participants or audiences or a misuse of premises or equipment. Past misuse or non-payment of fees is sufficient grounds for denial of an application.
7. Description of Facilities
There are two meeting rooms, our Classroom and our Boardroom.
|Classroom Gallery||Boardroom Gallery|
8. Audio Visual
Each meeting room has:
- a flatscreen TV, with HDMI connector to plug into a laptop computer
- Wireless Internet connection
As well, if you request a minimum one week in advance of your meeting, PLS can provide at no charge:
- laptop computer
- Speaker phone (for direct dial calls; you must provide a conference call number)
Setup instructions are provided, but it is your responsibility to do the setup, and to ensure that any additional equipment is compatible with PLS equipment.
9. Other facilities
Washrooms are easily accessed from both meeting rooms.
PLS has a small staff kitchen that can be used for storing food items. A fridge and microwave are available; please provide your own dishes and cutlery.
10. Making a Booking
For individuals and groups who have previously booked PLS facilities: Call 604-331-5400.
For new customers: Please print and complete our Booking Form and return no later than seven days prior to the date you wish to book the facilities. PLS will notify you regarding your eligibility to rent the facilities and on room availability.
Hours: Monday to Friday, 9am to 4:30pm. We are closed on weekends and Statutory Holidays.
11. Facilities Rental Charges
For commercial users: PLS requires full payment in advance of use of room. Payment by cheque or cash (in person) only. PLS will issue a receipt for payment.